After you integrate Google Analytics with your site, implement these configurations to get the most actionable insights from your data. These configurations will only apply to data collected after you change these settings, so it is best to follow these steps as soon as possible after integrating Google Analytics.
Filter out your internal users
To best understand your customer behavior, you should not have internal users clouding your data. Set up a custom view dedicated to just external users and another view for just internal users.
- Create a new view for external users and another view for internal users.
- In your external user's view, exclude internal traffic.
- In your internal user's view, follow the same steps you used to exclude, but select Include as the filter type.
Make sure to create separate views to set up custom filters because you want to retain a primary view that is not modified at all.
Track site search
To track the searches performed in your Expert site in Google Analytics, set up site search tracking in your Google Analytics account.
Site Search Tracking "Query parameter"
- In Google Analytics, add the following string to the Query Parameter field: fpid,fpth,fil,isguide,q,qid,queryid,search
Site Search Categories "Category parameter"
- In Google Analytics, add the following string to the Category parameter field: path
Get more from Google Analytics
Integrating with Google Analytics provides additional data about your users and content that can help you:
- Gain timely insights into how visitors use your site, how they arrived on your site, and how you can keep them coming back. Set up dashboards for different stakeholders.
- Understand how visitors interact with your pages. See how often they are engaging with certain page elements or clicking links that matter most to your business. You can even set up event tracking to get a more detailed look at how your visitors behave.
- Make the most of your advertising by learning how well your social, mobile, search and display ads are working. Link your website activity to your marketing campaigns to get the complete picture and improve your advertising performance.
- Measure the success of your social media programs. You can analyze how visitors interact with sharing features on your site and engage with your content across social platforms.
- Measure the impact of mobile on your business. If you build mobile apps, Google Analytics offers software development kits for iOS and Android so you can measure how people use your app.
Google Analytics Help
For expert guidance on getting the most from your Google Analytics data, contact MindTouch experts.Get Expert Help